[Nix-dev] Working with Gradle-based packages

Alp Mestanogullari alpmestan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:17:59 CET 2016

Hello!

Sparkle developer here. Have you seen the instructions in sparkle's README,
about the simple/quick way to build and run a new application?

https://github.com/tweag/sparkle#how-to-use

To do that with Nix, all you have to do is use `stack --nix` instead of
plain `stack`. The existing shell.nix in sparkle's repo takes care of a lot
of things for you.

Alternatively, you could write a similar shell.nix yourself, tailored to
your project but that contains everything needed to build sparkle (same
dependencies and tricks as in sparkle's shell.nix)
. I recommend the first method because it allows you to immediately get
started, but feel free to ask for help when/if you want to go for the
second option, if you get stuck.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Tikhon Jelvis <tikhon at jelv.is> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to us Sparkle (Haskell Spark bindings) with Nix. However,
> Sparkle uses Gradle to fetch its JVM dependencies (ie Spark), and Gradle
> can't download things during a Nix build.
>
> How should I handle this in Nix? Is there some easy way to get Gradle to
> work properly?
>
> thanks,
> -tikhon

Alp Mestanogullari