[Nix-dev] Extra dependencies for Steam games?

Nikolay Amiantov ab at fmap.me
Fri Dec 9 11:07:43 CET 2016

commonTargetPkgs is not the right place for this: it's for binaries (not
libraries) that are needed both for steam-env and steam. Difference
between targetPkgs (binaries) and multiPkgs (libraries) is that latter
are installed for both architectures on 64-bit systems; you'd need that
for a Steam game most likely as a lot of them are compiled for i686.

On 12/09/2016 01:04 PM, Moritz Ulrich wrote:

> I think the easiest / most useful solution is adding the libraries to
> `commonTargetPkgs` in `pkgs/games/steam/chrootenv.nix`. You can do this
> locally by cloning `nixpkgs.git`, modify the file, then running `nix-env
> -f . -iA steam` inside the `nixpkgs` directory to install steam in your
> user-env (which takes priority over `environment.systemPackages`).
>
> Feel free to open a Pull Request (or an issue describing the missing
> libraries) for changes like this. Right now a "fat" steam chrootenv
> seems like the most useful solution to me.
>
> Mike Cooper <mythmon at elem.us> writes:
>
>> The Steam game SHENZHEN I/O fials to start with errors about missing
>> libraries. One solution is to symlink the missing libraries into the
>> directory of the game, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea.
>>
>> I tried to add an override for steam to add extra dependencies, but I was
>> able to make any headway on this. Does anyone have a good way of getting
>> Steam games that need extra libraries to work?
>>
>> -Mythmon

Nikolay.