[Nix-dev] monitor.nixos.org

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Thu Dec 1 22:01:54 CET 2016

Yeah but I'm still wondering how that would work in the context of nixpkgs.

Are we always updating to the latest version? For example on a release
branch we might want to pin to a major.minor if the project follows semver,
but maybe on master we always want the latest version.

How do we iterate over all the packages? Do we regularly run all the update
scripts? Are the updates directly pushed to master or are new PR
automatically created?

Let's say the convention is that derivations exposes an "updater" passthru.
Does it mean that all the derivations need to be updated or can we
magically support all github projects?

I still think that some of this need to be tried out so we might as well
adopt garbas' approach for now but it would be nice to have a clearer
picture as well.