[Nix-dev] Multiple stores

Guillaume Maudoux (Layus) layus.on at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:20:04 CEST 2016

Le 26/08/16 à 14:51, Freddy Rietdijk a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use Nix for a certain data analysis where I will have
> several thousand files which are all together about two TB in size. At
> the moment NixOS is installed on a SSD which is a quarter that size.
> Would it be possible to install a second store elsewhere, in this case
> on a slower HDD?
>
> I couldn't find anything about this so I guess it isn't possible. Do
> you have in that case any other suggestions? I suppose the most
> obvious solution would be to install Nix on the slower HDD. Using LVM
> with multiple SSD's gets a bit too expensive.
>
> How does Nix perform on a HDD?
Slowly ;-). I had an old laptop with HDD, and it was seriously painfull.

One solution could be to mount your SSD as a cache for the bigger HDD.
I know it is possible, but never tried it myself.

Another solution is to use a different store path for your experiments.
If you still want binary cache support, i experienced very good results
with proot.

-- Layus.