[Nix-dev] Okular Rendering issues

Nikolay Amiantov ab at fmap.me
Thu Aug 18 17:17:39 CEST 2016

On 08/18/2016 06:05 PM, laverne wrote:

> ---- On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 03:58:02 -0500 Nikolay Amiantov  wrote ----
>> The bug also shows on zathura with poppler (a PDF renderer engine that
>> is used in okular, too) backend, but mupdf (another engine) doesn't have
>> it. This seems like a poppler's bug. If you say that Fedora doesn't have
>> it then either they have a different version or custom patches (which we
>> can try to use), or something different is going on...
>
> Ah, right. It looks like both versions of Okular are built against poppler version
>  0.36 , but fedora 22 uses 0.30. This is most likely the place where the bug lies
>  so my best bet is to attempt to get the latest stable version of Poppler (0.46 !)
> built.
>
> - Laverne

I have tried with poppler 0.46.0 today and unfortunately it doesn't fix
the problem. You can get the patch as part of
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/17819. I feel that's because this
PDF has some strange embedded font because zathura prints those errors:

error: freetype: cannot load font: invalid argument
error: cannot load embedded font (7 0 R)
warning: ignored error when loading embedded font; attempting to load
system font

when using mupdf, and spams "some font thing failed" when using poppler.

--
Nikolay.