[Nix-dev] Locking issues with Nix

Rodney Lorrimar dev at rodney.id.au
Tue Aug 9 18:55:30 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 09 2016, Guillaume Maudoux (Layus) wrote:
> With my current version of nix, I observe the following behaviour after some calls to nix:
> The command hangs forever.
>
>  $ nix-build ...
> these derivations will be built:
>   /nix/store/<hash>-<name>.drv
> waiting for locks or build slots...

I was experiencing such problems in June, but can't exactly remember
what I did to fix it. The waiting for build slots message occurred
because the nix-daemon processes were impossible to kill.

I had these messages in my log:

  Jun 07 14:14:16 aurora kernel: INFO: task nix-daemon:8376 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

I think it was something that I had mounted because df would also hang
in the same way.

Sorry for the vagueness, hope it gives you a clue.

Rodney