[Nix-dev] Changes to Python infrastructure

Freddy Rietdijk freddyrietdijk at fridh.nl
Mon Aug 15 16:59:18 CEST 2016

Hi,

Some time ago I opened a PR to use a fixed-point combinator for Python [1].
It works fine and is, aside from documenting the change (especially
regarding overriding), ready.

However, before documenting and merging I would like to have some feedback
on how it will look like.

Right now, we have `python`, `python27`, `python3`, `python27Packages`, and
so on. We also have `pypy` to consider. In the PR I put everything under
`pythonNew` and so you e.g.
- `pythonNew.cpython27.interpreter`
- `pythonNew.cpython35.buildEnv`
- `pythonNew.pypy27.withPackages`
- `pythonNew.cpython.pkgs.numpy`

Furthermore, there are for compatibility references from `python` and so on
to these new attributes.

It's a bit more verbose but I think it makes sense to have it like this.
Now, I am a bit unhappy with the name `pythonNew` and would rather have
`python` here. This will however break a lot of code. What do you think? Do
you have any suggestions?
Another option I consider is to append `pythonNew` to `pkgs` instead.

Kind regards,

Frederik

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/17428