[Nix-dev] How to install specific version of a package?

Tomasz Czyż tomasz.czyz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:56:10 CEST 2016

Nick,

I think the concept here is that:
- in nixpkgs there are only latest versions (in few cases more) of the
software, because it's hard to maintain huge set of packages with such a
small community (comparing to debian, redhat or other distros)
- nix is created to extend in mind, I find it lot lot easier to add
packages than in other distros, as well as integrating them to the system.
So for your specific use cases you can very easily create packages you
need, or if you need specific version of a package you can just refer to
older nix expression in nixpkgs and copy paste the file or refer to it
using fetchgit or other nix method. I personally treat nixpkgs as a base
for my specific use cases rather than something that should have everything
I need.

> If you know the path of the package the easiest way is `nix-env -i
> /nix/store/...`.
>
> For installing a package by previous version number I don't think there
> is an easy way to do it. (Except for some packages were different
> versions are available in nixpkgs). This is partially because "version"
> in nix includes all the versions of dependencies and build instructions.

Tomasz Czyż