[Nix-dev] using qemu virtual machine for testing software

Tomasz Czyż tomasz.czyz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 00:14:56 CEST 2016

Hi Tomas,

yeah, I've been there :-)
I have a problem with TCP connection not with starting the machine.

Basically, if you use VirtualBox it giving you kind of local networking for
free, same as docker default setup. I was wondering if it's possible to
have the same with qemu without setting up the bridge, ips etc by my own,
but after some digging I don't think it's possible.

I end up with port forwarding from qemu to localhost by adding params to
qemu in nix machine expression.

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> Tomasz Czyż <tomasz.czyz at gmail.com> writes:
> > I made this working/building the vm, but I still don't know how to
> > connect to it. Any idea?
>
> when you build the VM, it will create a symlink called something like
> result.  Inside there is a program to launch the VM inside qemu.  You
> can simply run that command and it will open a window with the qemu VM.
>
> Tomas

Tomasz Czyż