[Nix-dev] Why nginx config isn't placed into /etc/nginx/nginx.conf?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Aug 10 00:29:36 CEST 2016

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 19:54:10 +0100 Luca Bruno <lethalman88 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> When using Nixos to define my system, I want to use Nixos to define my
> > system. No other 'orchestration' software or (god forbid) any
> > user/admin should change that the imperative way. Only then can I
> > use nix the way its intended to have fully reproducible and
> > revertable states.
> >

> Except that the existing world and software is not reproducible and
> revertable.

But it is, isn't it?

Thanks to Nixos I can set my server back to the system configuration
from four months back. Apart from the user data of course.

Thanks to the fact that my system declaration is in git I can even throw
away all generations apart from the last few and still rebuild my
server as it was four months ago. (Try that with other linux
distributions and any orchestration or configuration management.)

And I am not talking about some imaginary server, but the real existing
hardware under my desk;-)

Thats the beauty of Nixos, it makes the existing software-world
reproducible and revertable.

> > For me the question is not why the nginx.conf is not in /etc/nginx
> > but "why whould I want the nginx.conf in /etc/nginx at all when
> > using Nixos"?
> >

> For the reasons explained above, philosophy apart.

- Arnold

PS: no need to CC me, I am subscribed.