[Nix-dev] Incremental recompilation

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:56:37 CEST 2016

It would be great to deploy the build product without the caches.

Preferably expose the API as part of mkDerivation.
This way I could pass in a 'develop' flag and if true, switch the cache on,
else leave it off. Now I'll be able to deploy without caches.

i.e.: if develop == true then cache = true else "";

IMHO, incremental compilation is a strong boon for nix adoption. It is the
only serious issue I can see which prevents Nix being a Make replacement.
Many projects start with a Make file, right away there is a dependency. Why
not just install Nix instead of Make as your project dependency,
immediately your project gets access to needed deps and do a whole bunch of
really powerful things to your source code.

We use Nix as a Make replacement, and I'm hooked to the point where I'm
able to endure no IR. So, this IR feature will upgrade Nix to a class A
drug, without the hazardous effects, from where I'm sitting.

/sjm