[Nix-dev] haskell structure for all of nixpkgs

Eric Merritt eric at merritt.tech
Mon Apr 25 21:15:55 CEST 2016

Stewert,

I did the majority of the Erlang/Beam packaging and I followed the Haskell model for two main reasons.

1. It worked so well in Haskell - why deviate?
2. Expression generation was much easier.

I think these strongly win out, at at least for the Erlang/Beam world. The downside is that grepping the
nixpkgs repository (my default way to search for a package) doesn't work nearly as well.

My suspicion is that, if you wanted to go this route generally, you would need to improve the tooling
around searching for packages/expressions.

Eric