[Nix-dev] Why not use SONAME instead of RPATH

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Wed Apr 20 14:05:43 CEST 2016

On 17/04/16 12:02, Silvio Frischknecht wrote:

> Advantages over RPATH:
> + probably faster since rpaths in nixos tend to be quite long and every
> library has to be looked for in every folder (linear vs quadratic
> complexity)
> + only has to be setup once per library - all referrers will
> automatically work correctly

TBH I've been wondering the same thing when reading documentation talked
about rpath. This seems like the simpler more direct method. It also
avoid the theoretical problem where there are two libraries of the same
name in different folders, this allows you to specify exactly which one
although that is unlikely to ever become a real problem.

But in general in my Nix usage I try to avoid long search paths such as
rpath and PATH, instead preferring to use absolute paths everywhere with
no search just because it is simpler, and probably more performant.

Cheers, Kevin