[Nix-dev] KDE 5 startup broken in unstable channel and Nixpkgs master

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:02:31 CEST 2016

Hello nix-dev,

As the KDE 5 maintainer, I am issuing a warning that the KDE 5 startup
sequence is broken in Nixpkgs master and probably in the unstable
channel, too. If you are a KDE 5 user, I recommend that you use with
NixOS 16.03 for now. I haven't updated the KDE packages since the
16.03 release yet, so this is not a big step backward.

I'm issuing this notice because it may be several weeks before I am
able to devote any significant time to debugging this issue. I'm sorry
for the delay. If anyone is interested in pursuing this on their own:
I have determined that the problem is caused by the NIX_PROFILES
environment variable being unset at some point during startup.
NIX_PROFILES must be set correctly for KDE to detect its various
plugins and runtime dependencies.

Regards,
Thomas Tuegel