[Nix-dev] ioquake3 on nixos

Emery emery at vfemail.net
Fri Apr 8 10:17:53 CEST 2016

If you could get ioquake working well, I and I'm sure a few others
would be grateful.

If ioquake is an engine, I would recommend keeping the engine in one
package. If you can find game data that can be downloaded easily, that
can be a second package that depends on ioquake, so you could install a
wrapper script that combines the nix path of the engine with the nix
path of the game data. Just make sure you attach the proper license to
the data.

As for developing, you can clone the ioquake sources and get a shell
that contains the dependencies from the package with:
  nix-shell '<nixpkgs' -A ioquake

If you want to use a locally modified ioquake package, use:
  nix-shell /path/to/local/nixpkgs -A ioquake

Good luck,
Emery