[Nix-dev] 16.03 release has been post-postponed (was: When will nixos-16.03 be ready?)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Apr 1 12:10:10 CEST 2016

Christian Kauhaus writes:

 > I wonder what the timeline is for the 16.03 release. As far as I
 > understand it, it was supposed to happen in March, but odds are not
 > so good right now. Has anyone an idea about what it takes for the
 > release to happen?

I have the unpleasant duty of informing everyone that all plans to release
nixos-16.03 are OFF.

We were literally minutes away from tagging the source code and switching on
the nixos-16.03 channel when Domen realized that we had flat-out forgotten
to implement several important BLOCKERS that prevent us from releasing the
new version right now. So we had an on-line meeting, discussed our options,
and concluded to POSTPONE any new NixOS releases until the following issues
are resolved:

 - Re-designed UI for Nix command-line tools
 - Deterministic Reproducible Builds (#2281)
 - Security Hardening (#7220)
 - Fast Delivery of Security Updates (#10851)
 - Recursive Nix
 - Declarative User Environments a.k.a. User-space NixOS (#9250)
 - Hydra NG (#12203)
 - Lazier mkDerivation function (#11094)
 - Consistent Support for Multiple Outputs (#7701)

Once ALL these issues are implemented and tested, we'll start over with a
new release cycle.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,
Peter