[Nix-dev] NixOS-Wiki alternative. Was: What license does the content of the nixos wiki and the manuals have?

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 20:58:36 CEST 2015

I think having a wiki in git can be a big trouble for users who don't
know where to find the "edit" / "login" buttons, but I am sure that we
can make the proper template in due time to wrap an interface around
such system.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Eelco Dolstra
<eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> […] But I wouldn't call that a wiki, since you can't easily edit it from a
> browser, or make it world-writable. But if we do want go that way, another
> possibility is GitHub Pages + Jekyll.

Also, I wanted to mention that Github offers an option for modifying
pages without even cloning the repository on your computer.  Which
makes this approach less painful for making contributions.

https://help.github.com/articles/editing-files-in-your-repository/

I am sure that a review process is good for the quality and
consistency of the wiki, but we should *clearly* document how people
can contribute to the wiki:
 - Open an issue for the lack of documentation
 - Use the ACE editor to edit pages online and submit pull requests
 - Clone the repository to edit and preview pages locally.

Also, I think that having an issue tracker to highlight the lack of
documentation is a really good idea.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/