[Nix-dev] error in unpack-bootstrap-tools.sh

Matei David matei at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Oct 28 16:17:08 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to install nix without root priviledges under my home dir.
The host is Debian squeeze running on a cluster. I followed the wiki
here:
https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_install_nix_in_home_(on_another_distribution)

I tried the manual version because I want the binaries to run fast,
without PTRACE, for instance.

So I installed all the prerequisites listed there, and also the ones
mentioned in this issue:
https://github.com/NixOS/nix/issues/512

However, the last command:
nix-env -iA nixpkgs.nix

fails with the following error:
/some-dir/nix/store/...-unpack-bootstrap-tools.sh: line
19: /some-dir/nix/store/...-bootstrap-tools/lib/ld-*so.?:
not found

I added some logging to the script and from what I can tell, the script
seems to be run/evaluated by busybox, with no PATH set. However, busybox
doesn't seem to have globbing enabled:

$ env -i /some-dir/nix/store/...-busybox ash
$ echo *
*

So how is it supposed to find the dynamic linker on that line?

I tried both 1.8 and 1.10 with the same effect. What can I do to fix
this or to diagnose it further?

Thanks,
Matei