[Nix-dev] Can't package Unity3d due to setuid nix store restriction

William Casarin bill at casarin.me
Sun Oct 18 10:17:58 CEST 2015

So I ran into a problem when packaging unity3d:

Chromium Embedded Framework requires that the file
'/nix/store/mr3jpab7ss65viqyk4d5wiwlh4jg6qaa-unity-editor-5.1.0f3/opt/Unity/Editor/chrome-sandbox'
is owned by root and has permissions 4755.

I thought this would be a simple fix but then I read this:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixos/blob/5f444a4d8d49a497bcfabe2544bda264c845653e/modules/security/setuid-wrappers.nix#L30

Does this mean nixos is unable to package unity3d unless I make
chrome-sandbox an impure dependency somehow?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
William