[Nix-dev] Using ssh-substituter

Joel Moberg joel.moberg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 15:03:22 CEST 2015

I am trying to use the ssh-substituter option availible in nix but not
gotten it to work. Maybe I am missing something, I made a simple test with
this derivation:

{ pkgs ? (import <nixpkgs> { }) }:

pkgs.stdenv.mkDerivation {
  name = "ssh-substitute-test";
  phases = [ "buildPhase" ];
  buildPhase = ''
    mkdir $out
    echo I am a test - if you are using the ssh-substituter you should not
see this
    echo ssh substituter test was here > $out/hi
  '';
}

On one host I build it with `nix-build simple-test.nix`.

At another host I used this command `nix-env -f
~/Documents/simple-deriv.nix -i --option use-ssh-substituter true --option
ssh-substituer-hosts joelmo at 192.168.1.78`

I shouldn't see "I am a test" if it's working but I get this:

these derivations will be built:
  /nix/store/wd3c221p8yj37iwcfrw95ibjcsba12w7-ssh-substitute-test.drv
building path(s)
‘/nix/store/39qc71hzj3fflvddm58ngqk1idrsy5p6-ssh-substitute-test’
building
I am a test - if you are using the ssh-substituter you should not see this
building path(s)
‘/nix/store/rfly54zqpxm93djpkjkqq2lyjm847j2p-user-environment’
created 20900 symlinks in user environment

I also tried with different users than joelmo, root, and nix-serve with
nix.serveSsh enabled in the config.

Maybe I am missing something?