[Nix-dev] AgdaStdlib Doesn't install

Bryan Gardiner bog at khumba.net
Tue Oct 13 18:38:46 CEST 2015

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:29:37 -0700
Bryan Gardiner <bog at khumba.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 20:30:52 -0400
> Taeer Bar-Yam <tb442 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> > The file you requested is attached.
> >
> > I also observed something new and interesting. I tried to take everything
> > out of my configuration.nix except the bare minimum and AgdaStdlib.
> > What's weird is that the things in my /run/current-system/sw/share/ didn't
> > disappear. I'm not sure if they were supposed to, but there was still a
> > emacs/ folder there even though emacs wasn't installed. (I checked, and
> > `emacs` doesn't work).
>
> share/emacs holds emacs support files, which Nix and other things like
> Git install, so that's expected to be present regardless of whether
> emacs is installed.
>
> > It seems like what is happening is the /run/current-system/sw/share/ folder
> > stopped being updated at some point after I had installed certain things
> > but not others. Any idea why that would happen? Or am I misreading the
> > situation?
>
> I can confirm that adding AgdaStdlib to environment.systemPackages
> with a "nixos-rebuild switch" doesn't cause
> /run/current-system/sw/share/agda to be created, like it does with
> ~/.nix-profile/share/agda in a user profile.  Now here's hoping
> software (de)installation doesn't randomly stop working for me too :).

I think your problem is that "/share/agda" is not listed in
environment.pathsToLink.  See:

https://nixos.org/nixos/manual/options.html#opt-environment.pathsToLink

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/f81982e779e51402dc4e4717718b1ba50a739004/nixos/modules/config/system-path.nix#L102-L124

Does it work to add that to your configuration.nix?  If so, I'd
imagine that it should be added to the default list (*if* it really is
required for that path to be linked there, I know nothing about Agda).

Cheers,
Bryan