[Nix-dev] Jenkins declarative jobs?

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 10:37:24 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I've been thinking of creating a sub-module for Jenkins, allowing jobs
to be defined in nix.

AFAICT, the best options would be using either Jenkins Job Builder
(JJB) or Jenkins DSL Plugin. The problem with the latter is that it
requires a plugin for Jenkins, so I'm leaning towards Jenkins Job
Builder.

Problems:

* It may be difficult to clean up jobs if they are renamed or deleted.
(So it's not fully declarative.)

* Ideally, I think the backend should just generate jobName/config.xml
files for Jenkins and then having a systemd service move those files
to /var/lib/jenkins and signal jenkins to reload its config. Then we
don't have to care about authentication (and I don't think we should
allow the module to operate against non-local Jenkins instances, which
is something JJB _can_ do). On the other hand, JJB seems to have some
extra features if it is allowed to talk to Jenkins.

Thoughts?

- Bjørn