[Nix-dev] Nix + OpenGL on Debian?

Roland Koebler rk-list at simple-is-better.org
Tue Oct 6 18:46:03 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm currently using Nix on Debian stable, to be able to use newer
versions of some software. This works well, except that I unfortunately
cannot run packages which need OpenGL (like OpenSCAD).

It looks like no OpenGL-drivers are found by the packages, I installed
via Nix. To test this, I've installed glxinfo:

glxinfo of Debian: OpenGL is found and works

$ /usr/bin/glxinfo
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.3.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

glxinfo of Nix: OpenGL is not found

$ glxinfo
name of display: :0
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  156 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
  Serial number of failed request:  51

Is there any way to solve this?
Or is it a known limitation that Nix-packages which use OpenGL cannot be
used under e.g. Debian?

Thanks,
Roland