[Nix-dev] Providing Debian, Arch etc. packages counterproductive?

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Oct 5 18:20:03 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 05/10/15 16:08, Roland Koebler wrote:

> I then found https://nixos.org/wiki/Installing_Nix_on_Debian and
> https://nixos.org/nix/manual/#ch-installing-binary -- and didn't
> know why there are two different manuals for the same purpose, and
> didn't know which one I should follow or whether one is up-to-date
> and the other one is outdated.

There is only one Nix manual. The wiki is not an authoritative source - being a
wiki, anybody can edit it, so anybody can add information that duplicates (or
contradicts) the manual. Which is not to say the manual is always up to date :-)

>    In addition, I think it's strange that the "/etc/init.d/nix-daemon"-
>    script is not included in nix, but should be copy-and-pasted from
>    the wiki-page.

AFAIK nobody has created a PR to have it included.

> 5. Install-scripts in packages:
>    Add postinstall-scripts to the packages.
>    For Debian, the ideal solution would be to add a postinst-script,
>    which asks if Nix should be used in single- or multi-user mode,
>    who should own /nix, and maybe who should be added to the nixbld-
>    group. (And maybe to add Nix to the official Debian-repository.)

IIRC, Nix can't be included in the Debian repo because it violates the FHS (by
creating a non-standard directory, /nix).

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/