[Nix-dev] NixOS 15.09 released

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sat Oct 3 21:02:19 CEST 2015

>Why don't you like systemd, guys?

(I guess I have said everything below some time ago, when answering the
same question)

I would benefit from extermination of all software enforcing
impossibility of anything similar to startx. Systemd is written so that
it makes impossible working startx as a side effect. I want to write
a small setuid binary starting a new X session (a second or a third
one).

I have an idea what I want my system to do and what I want my system not
to do. Systemd spreads like cancer swiping more and more areas of the
system into a single monolithic (even if multi-executable; it has no
published stable interfaces) blob; each time it starts to do something,
in a new area it takes additional effort to make it stop doing that, it
is quite often very active by default. In some cases, like with session
management, it is impossible to get back the simple behavior I always
had and liked.

I am still not sure if journald has reached the performance level of
plain text logs. Also, apparently logs do get corrupted from time to
time; with text logs I generally lose access to less data than with
journald.