[Nix-dev] Using a remote machine for builds with two NixOS machines.

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 04:07:12 CEST 2015

On 09/30/2015 10:09 PM, Jonathan Glines wrote:
> I did this for a short time, but I ran into a problem where my
> Sandybridge desktop was compiling AVR instructions that my AMD netbook
> did not understand. This was troublesome for the few packages I
> compiled all the time (Asterisk, VirtualBox), but I was also worried
> that AVR instructions would sneak into other packages, so I stopped
> using this.

Uh, I suspect the main Hydra machines don't support AVX, but that's not
the point. Such packages should be fixed to create a generic build.
(Multimedia stuff often does compile for various instruction sets, but
they switch during runtime, so that's still generic.)

In quick inspection of virtualbox build log
http://hydra.nixos.org/build/26387080/log/raw , I can only see
-mtune=generic (fine) and no -march specified, though it's possible the
problem is (still) somewhere deeper.

Vladimir