[Nix-dev] How do I change vim compile options from my configuration.nix?

joachifm at fastmail.fm joachifm at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 25 18:22:55 CET 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015, at 10:48 PM, Anders Lundstedt wrote:
> I want to run a vim compiled with the options
>
> +python3
> -python
>
> How do I accomplish this?
One way to achieve this is via ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix. Vim happens to
have a configurable variant. Something like (untested)
```nix
{
  vim.python3 = true;
}
```
should give you what you want (I think, based on my brief reading of the
source). See `<nixpkgs/pkgs/applications/editors/vim/configurable.nix>`
for details.

Not all packages support this idiom. In the general case, you'd
customize the package via the `packageOverrides` mechanism (see the
manual for details).

HTH,
Joachim