[Nix-dev] Publish All of Hackage

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Fri Nov 20 15:42:10 CET 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> wrote:

> The problem with doing this with import-from-derivation is we still
> need the hashes of every tarball ahead of time (though that's much
> smaller than all of hackage, and we really just need the hash of the
> file that contains all the hashes in nixpkgs itself). If we have that,
> then we don't need to generate all of hackage every time, just the bits
> needed to build the specific requested package.

What I would expect is that the "generate Nix expressions" Nix expression -
i.e., the thing that generates what is now hackage-packages.nix - would
have to be given known inputs. As far as I understand, hackage2nix simply
requires a checkouts of
https://github.com/commercialhaskell/all-cabal-hashes and
https://github.com/commercialhaskell/all-cabal-hashes. I would expect that
those could be provided by fetchgit, so updating the set of Haskell
packages simply requires Peter or other commiters to change the pinned Git
revisions.