[Nix-dev] Locale issues with Nix shell (and GHC) on OSX

Yves Parès yves.pares at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 11:44:00 CET 2015

Hi,
When compiling within a *pure* nix shell with GHC, I get the following
warning:
Warning: unable to set locale to UTF-8 encoding; GHC may fail with 'invalid
character'

and indeed depending on the haskell packages I use, I may get build errors
due to this. (I build with stack, not directly with GHC)
On Ubuntu, this was fixed by adding the package glibcLocales to my
buildInputs.
But on OSX, glibcLocales is just null, and I can't find if there exists an
equivalent to it, or another way to fix the warning (without switching to a*
non pure* shell, which is not okay for ensuring my build environment is
reproducible).

Has someone got extra information?