[Nix-dev] Should we update Haskell packages in release-15.09?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Nov 17 16:56:16 CET 2015

Hi James,

 > How often are we seeing security vulnerabilities in Haskell packages?

it's hard to say. I am not aware of anyone tracking vulnerabilities
specifically for Haskell packages. I know that the 'tls' family of
packages has had security relevant updates in the past, but I don't know
how often these things happen.

 > If it's rare enough, and we have enough time and energy, it would be
 > nice to resolve each case neatly (e.g. either extract just the
 > necessary security patch, or fix the updated package so it's no longer
 > incompatible with the versions we've frozen in 15.09).

I agree that this would be the best solution. Personally, however, I
cannot do this.

 > But if it's not rare, or nobody has the time and energy, then I vote
 > for merging your pull request and keeping the Haskell packages
 > current.

OK, that is what I've done for the time being. :-) Thanks for the
feedback.

Best regards,
Peter