[Nix-dev] How to move /nix into /usr?

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Nov 11 15:13:53 CET 2015

Hi,

On 10/11/15 22:06, Tobias Hunger wrote:

> NixOS does actually go surprisingly far here, but my first test of
> just doing rm -rf /etc did break e.g. root login.

Probably you don't have "users.mutableUsers = false" in configuration.nix.

Without that, how would you expect root login to work after wiping
/etc/{passwd,shadow}? What should the root password be?

Apart from mutable user accounts, NixOS should recover from wiping /etc and /var
just fine. IIRC, our VM tests boot into an initially empty filesystem.

ProtectSystem seems only marginally useful for NixOS given that we already make
/nix/store read-only.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/