[Nix-dev] How to move /nix into /usr?

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 22:06:49 CET 2015

Stateless as defined by the systemd people means "both /etc and /var
are not persistent". I do that on arch Linux by just mounting / as a
tmpfs and /usr as a persistent, read-only filesystem (and shoveling
some files around;-).

On my stateless arch system I can do "sudo rm -rf /" and reboot back
into a working system (without data in /home and without logs and
other data in /var, but still fully functional).

NixOS does actually go surprisingly far here, but my first test of
just doing rm -rf /etc did break e.g. root login. I guess I need to do
more experiments and better understand nixOS. It has been about five
years since I last used it in earnest:-)

Best Regards,
Tobias