[Nix-dev] How to move /nix into /usr?

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 20:57:46 CET 2015

Hi Nix list!

I am wondering how I can implement a stateless system with NixOS. On
arch Linux I rely on systemd to get me most of the way, but that is
not an option in NixOS. Systemd is unfortunately completely outdated
in NixOS:-/

Even if I updated systemd: It will not work with NixOS, since systemd
assumes all the binaries to be in /usr. So it only offers kernel-flags
to mount root and usr... which is not really helpful for NixOS. There
is also the "ProtectSystem" for service units: That also protects
/usr, not /nix.

So how can I move /nix into /usr to make systemd happy? Or should
NixOS ship with a patched systemd that treats /nix special instead of
/usr? That would require a lot of documentation updates and would be a
major derivation from all other systemd distributions.

Best Regards,
Tobias