[Nix-dev] Ideas for a NixOS-related bachelors thesis?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:06:17 CET 2015

On 11/01/2015 10:16 PM, Ericson, John wrote:
> If I recall Eelco's thesis correctly, the derivation is built in a
> temporary location, the build is hashed, and then the binary is mangled
> so the temp path is replaced with the proper /path/to/store/hash/ path.
> Well if we just stick the data in IPFS before the path replacement, and
> let the other side do the mangling we dodge that problem.

I don't think that would work, as hash rewriting *changes* the standard
hash of the path (self-referencing problem).

Nitpicks: you all seem to use "intentional" instead of "intensional",
but the name doesn't really matter, which is incidentally the only thing
that would much change during ex->in switch. I don't really get why
people call for it so much. The only useful (possible) consequence I can
think of is that when we e.g. update some build tool, the builds using
this tool would likely result into the same path, so the rebuild would
*not* cascade like it does now. It would only cut non-runtime indirect
dependencies, which isn't really so much, and we would have to deal
somehow with the equivalence classes allowing such "sharing".

Source mirroring is a thing completely independent of nix(os), so it
might have much larger chance of being successful, as P2P IMHO pays off
only when you get many clients.

Vladimir