[Nix-dev] Ad hoc vs. declarative package management

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon May 18 11:49:15 CEST 2015

On 05/17/2015 10:33 PM, Spencer Whitt wrote:
> The nix-env -i feature mainly exists for historical reasons.

A nitpick: I don't think there were are any better reasons to have it in
past than we have nowadays (it's just slower now that we have more
packages). IMO the purpose is to offer interface similar to mainstream
packagers. AFAIK nix was from the beginning a programming language
dealing primarily with attribute paths instead of names.

Vladimir