[Nix-dev] How to install pmount properly?

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:55:24 CEST 2015

`pmount` is pretty stupid compared to, say, UDisks (as far as I understand
it just allows everyone to mount any removable device), so it doesn’t
really make any sense to say that it is supported or unsupported on any
given distro.

I’d like to note that as part of its “policy” `pmount` checks `/etc/fstab`
and treats devices listed there specially. `/etc/fstab` is somewhat
obsolete (I think it wasn’t declared deprecated yet, but, in principle,
NixOS doesn’t need it) so, if one day it disappears it might or might not
result in security issues when using `pmount`.

That said, I don’t see any reason to use `pmount` as long as UDisks is
available for free and ready to be used in NixOS.