[Nix-dev] How to install pmount properly?

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Thu May 14 14:06:06 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 14/05/15 10:00, Matthias Beyer wrote:

> I want to use pmount for mounting external devices - but after
> installing it, when using it, it tells me
>
>     Error: this program needs to be installed suid root
>
> How to do that properly? I installed via
>
>     nix-env -iA nixpkgs.pmount

"pmount" is not supported on NixOS. The supported way to deal with external
media is via udisks, which works in all desktop environments, and can be used
from the command line as well, e.g.

  $ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdb1
  Mounted /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/eelco/USBSTICK.

You may need

  services.udisks2.enable = true;

in your configuration.nix. (It's enabled automatically if you use KDE, Gnome,
Xfce or Enlightenment.)

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/