[Nix-dev] i686 Builds?

Marco Maggesi maggesi at math.unifi.it
Tue May 12 11:43:47 CEST 2015

I use 32 bit a lot.
First of all, I use it on some old machines with 32bit hardware.
But, more importantly, I use it regularly on virtuabox and xen virtual
machines.
In my experience, for most of my use cases the 32bit require less memory
(which is often not abundant on virtual instances) and it is thus generally
faster for many computing tasks .  I made some tests with HOL Light (the
theorem prover).  The bare program has memory occupation which almost the
double in the 64bit version (~1.2Gb) with respect to the 32bit version
(~0.7Gb).  On a virtual machine with 2Gb of ram, the 32 bit it is often
10%-20% faster on typical usage and 50% faster or more when the computation
requires more memory.
In my experience, the version 32 bit can be more convenient than the 64bit
version in a variety of situations.
So, please, do not give-up with 32 bit support.
Marco