[Nix-dev] per-project nix-shell for Ruby (Gemfile) projects?

Linus Arver linusarver at gmail.com
Mon May 11 00:52:38 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am still very new to Nix and NixOS so please bear with me.

I followed the instructions in the Nixpkgs manual[1] as well as the
original announcement[2] to create a regular Nix package, which I could
install by putting

    minitest = self.callPackage ./ruby/minitest {};

into my ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix. This allows me to install minitest into
my current Nix profile.

If I have a Ruby project/app that has a single Gemfile, is there a way
to create a 'shell.nix' file for it, like the command

    cabal2nix --shell . > shell.nix

for cabalized Haskell projects/apps?

Cheers,
Linus