[Nix-dev] NixOS and PXE

Oliver Dunkl oliver.dunkl at gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:52:27 CEST 2015

Hi, i would like to boot my notbook with pxe-boot from a
tftp-server.

Booting with pxe works but after loading some modules in
<<< NixOS Stage 1 >>> i got an error:

mounting /dev/root on /iso...
mount: mounting /dev/root on /mnt-root/iso failed: No such file or directory

An error occured in stage 1

I used the latest unstable minimal release from here:
https://nixos.org/releases/nixos/unstable/nixos-15.05pre61665.4c01e6d/

and the latest syslinux (6.03) pxelinux.0 from here:
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/

My default config for pxelinux.cfg is:
-->8--
default vesamenu.c32
prompt 1
timeout 600

display boot.msg

label linux
  menu label ^Install NixOS
  menu default
  kernel /boot/bzImage
  initrd /boot/initrd
  append init=/nix/store/ri6v57ywnrvjw2qhid8jspdp0qcrlyl3-nixos-15.05pre61665.4c01e6d/init root=LABEL=NIXOS_ISO boot.shell_on_fail loglevel=4
-->8--

I have tested my pxe-configuration with:
% qemu-system-x86_64 -boot n -net nic -net user,tftp=/home/tftproot,bootfile=pxelinux.0

Does anybody have a declaration for this?

thx
\= odi