[Nix-dev] gold linker in shell.nix

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sun May 3 07:55:08 CEST 2015

On 05/03/2015 03:09 AM, Nikita Karetnikov wrote:
>> Stdenv should put ld.gold on PATH, so then it can be used just as
>> > ld.gold is used, I guess.
> So, are you suggesting to just enable it system-wide?  How can I do
> that?

I'm trying to say that any package can see both standard ld and ld.gold,
so everyone can choose. I think some packages already do use it - they
check if it's available and prefer ld.gold over ld.

Forcing ld.gold instead of ld system-wide is probably not a good idea.
I've read it's unable to link some kernel and grub stuff, and some
changes in behavior could cause lots of breakages by itself in many
packages.

Vladimir