[Nix-dev] Impossible to use Nix + fetchgit on any Linux configured with LDAP authentication /libnss_sss

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 08:11:30 CEST 2015

Hi.

On 06/23/2015 06:37 PM, Adrien Devresse wrote:
>> > Would this work as a non-root user ?
>> > No, you need to be root to do chroot builds.
>> >
> This is unfortunately a problem: Nix is advertised to work in non-root
> environment and is used as this.
>
> You have common situations where root access is just not possible.

Have you tried a proot environment? IIRC it was reported as a success by
some scientific HPC people. You shouldn't even need to rebuild anything,
and the runtime impact is supposed to be low.

https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_install_nix_in_home_(on_another_distribution)#PRoot_Installation

BTW, I thought the most advertised case is that a root installs nix and
then any regular user can install packages... (http://nixos.org/nix/
"Multi-user, multi-version")

Vladimir