[Nix-dev] Idea: Add a user group in the github organization

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Fri Jun 26 17:05:16 CEST 2015

On 26-06-2015 17:03:03, Matthias Beyer wrote:
> On 26-06-2015 19:53:16, stewart mackenzie wrote:
> > Please read pieter hintjens culture and empire, specifically chapter 2
> > light of spheres.
> >
> > Good contributors should be promoted quickly before they move off onto
> > other projects. Yes if you choose to use nixos you aren't going anywhere
> > quickly but nonetheless it's an important hat tip to contributors.
> >
> > Having their face on the project landing page could be important to them,
> > as exemplified by the OP.
>
> Exactly the same thing applies for pull requests, that's why I want my
> PR's merged via the Merge-Button on github, as it gives me a green
> badge on my github page which indicates success(fully merged). Others
> may not care about a big red wall of "I unsuccessfully tried to
> contribute"-like bagdes on their GH pages, but I do.
>
> But, of course, that's not the topic we discuss here.
>
> I also would set the bar for "we take you into the 'approved
> contributors team'" rather high... a decent amount of maintained
> packages and contributions in form of discussions and so on should be
> done by the persons which get into this group. I'd suggest the
> following (of coures, these things are like soft-requirements...):
>
>     * 5 or more packages where at least 3 got updated at least once
>     * Actively contributing to discussions on the Mailinglist
>     * Actively contributing to discussions in github issues
>
> Some other nice things would be:
>
>     * Test-building and helping others with PRs
>     * IRC activity (Not only asking but also answering questions)

Maybe another point:

    * Was at least at one talk, sprint or <something> where official
      nixos guys were hanging around, so someone "knows" the person
      who wants to get into the "contributors" group.

I also think that this group should be cleaned up every now and then,
of course.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,