[Nix-dev] NixOS and NixOps on server : testimonials here ?

Aycan İrican iricanaycan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 15:56:53 CEST 2015

> On 24 Jun 2015, at 16:32, Fabien Bourgeois <fabien at yaltik.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a newcomer to Nix ecosystem and am theoretically really pleased
> about manuals and articles I've read about it.
>
> I will really soon give it a try and if tests fulfill my needs, I'd like
> to be able to use NixOS "everywhere" (workstations, servers). I have
> some questions about using NixOS on servers machines in production (I
> guess this list is not exhaustive :
> https://nixos.org/wiki/Nix%28OS%29_in_production )
>
> 1) Have you experiences about using NixOS on physical or virtual servers
> ? Do you have some advice to share ?

We’re using NixOS on Leaseweb’s dedicated server (HP DL180) without any problems. Though installing NixOS using ILO was pretty boring.

> 2) Do you follow stable or unstable channel ? Why ? (security, stability…)

I am using master nixpkgs branch on my desktop since I regularly modify it and I want to follow upstream changes. I prefere stable branch on production systems mainly for low maintenance cost.

> 3) Are there here some NixOps users ? How many servers are you deploying
> to ?

I am currently using libvirtd backend for bringing up a test network as quickly as possible to run tests.

Regards,