[Nix-dev] Using R with Bioconductor

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Thu Jun 18 14:04:41 CEST 2015

Quoting Jeffrey David Johnson (2015-06-18 06:20:57)
> Wonderful, thanks for pushing it forward! I did some more on it but
> then got sidetracked by grad school and kind of dropped the ball. There
> is one more thing though...
>
> After splitting CRAN and BIOC packages up, I discovered that
> many of the BIOC ones require other Annotation or Experiment data
> packages. So I added those too. They're hosted on the same bioconductor
> servers but under different subdirectories. I added them as separate
> files because it was easier with my existing code, but hoped to
> integrate them into the same BIOC file and update the broken packages
> list before doing a pull request. Then I didn't get around to it.
>
> This is a working implementation (just missing the updated broken
> list) that shows the new subdirectories in default.nix around line 50:
>
> https://github.com/jefdaj/nixpkgs/tree/master/pkgs/development/r-modules
>
> Any chance that could make it into the release too?
> Jeff

Hi Jeffrey,

This really looks nice, I would love to see this in 15.06.

I see 3 TODO items here [1] I we want to remove them. Is there anythigs left on
you todo list?

And maybe R language should get a short section in the manual [2] since there
is no mention of language support of R. Instructions how to update the manual
are here [3].

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/compare/master...jefdaj:master#diff-789598f937b7fe2f8e737d7e3f4e206dR3
[2] http://nixos.org/nixpkgs/manual/#chap-language-support
[3] https://nixos.org/wiki/Contributing_to_Nix_documentation