[Nix-dev] NixOS won't boot anymore in certain generations, don't know why (Stage-1 error)

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Thu Jun 4 15:06:51 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have a problem with some of my generations.

Today (, after installing chromium, but I don't think this has
anything to do with it), I noticed that my xterms got redrawn after
switching to them (I'm using i3, so if a window is not shown but I
bring it up, a redraw happened).

So, if I switched to a xterm where I executed something like
"alsamixer" or "tree /tmp", it got redrawn line by line.

I did not understand why this happened, but I guessed it was some
driver problem, where a driver went bad or something. So I decided to
reboot.

When rebooting, I booted into my newest generation, which was 109 by
this time. But I got an error in stage 1, telling me that my root
partition couldn't be mounted as the device did not come up (LUKS
encrypted SSD, root on /dev/sda2). It asked me

    "dm_mod" loaded?

So I tried previous generations and had success with 106 (107-109) did
not work. I checked my config, and I saw:

    boot.initrd.kernelModules = [ "fbcon" "ext4" "dm_crypt" ];

that "dm_mod" was missing, indeed. So I changed it to:

    boot.initrd.kernelModules = [ "fbcon" "ext4" "dm_mod" "dm_crypt" ];

And rebuild the system, resulting in generation 110. I tried to boot
that, but the same error happened.

I'm on kernel 3_18_4, if this matters.

So my problem is, I don't know what went wrong and how to fix it.
Unfortunately, I don't know which configuration I build generation 106
from (my config is git-tracked). I'd show you the diff of my
generation, but well... I don't know which revision it was.

How can I debug this and more important: How can I fix this?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,

Proudly sent with mutt.