[Nix-dev] Looking for development version of zlib

Amy de Buitléir amy at nualeargais.ie
Wed Jun 3 16:46:09 CEST 2015

I added the code that Christian suggested to /etc/nixos/configuration.nix
and did a nixos-rebuild switch.

Then I added 'buildInputs = [ zlib ];" to shell.nix (I assume that's where I
was supposed to add it), but I get an error:

[nix-shell:~/creatur]$ nix-shell
error: anonymous function at
"/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixpkgs/pkgs/development
/haskell-modules/generic-builder.nix":5:1
called with unexpected argument ‘buildInputs’, at
"/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixpkgs/pkgs/development
/haskell-modules/configuration-ghc-7.10.x.nix":51:23

Here's my shell.nix:

with (import <nixpkgs> {}).pkgs;
let pkg = haskellngPackages.callPackage
            ({ mkDerivation, array, base, binary, bytestring, cereal, cond
             , directory, filepath, gray-extended, hdaemonize, hsyslog, HUnit
             , MonadRandom, mtl, old-locale, process, QuickCheck, random, split
             , stdenv, temporary, test-framework, test-framework-hunit
             , test-framework-quickcheck2, time, transformers, unix, zlib
             }:
             mkDerivation {
               pname = "creatur";
               version = "5.9.6";
               src = ./.;
               buildInputs = [
                 zlib
               ];
               buildDepends = [
                 array base bytestring cereal cond directory filepath
gray-extended
                 hdaemonize hsyslog MonadRandom mtl old-locale process
random split
                 time transformers unix zlib
               ];
               testDepends = [
                 array base binary cereal directory filepath hsyslog HUnit
                 MonadRandom mtl QuickCheck temporary test-framework
                 test-framework-hunit test-framework-quickcheck2
               ];
               homepage = "https://github.com/mhwombat/creatur";
               description = "Framework for artificial life experiments";
               license = stdenv.lib.licenses.bsd3;
             }) {};
in
  pkg.env