[Nix-dev] Working on multiple modules on multiple branches - single server

Christian Theune ct at flyingcircus.io
Thu Jul 30 09:27:56 CEST 2015

> On 30 Jul 2015, at 09:27, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 07/30/2015 07:59 AM, Christian Theune wrote:
>> However, no I experience some pain while developing as I’m rebuilding
>> the system from various branches all the time (editing locally,
>> rsyncing the whole thing to the machine, then running nixos-rebuild
>> -I …) which turns out will always disable my other work …
>>
>> Is there an obvious solution to this that I’m missing? Complicated
>> git branch management?
>
> rsyncing the git-managed nixpkgs tree? Why not use git itself? Either
> through e.g. your github account, or you can even push directly from one
> machine to another.

Step 1: Edit locally in nice editor
Step 2: save and trigger automatic rsync
Step 3: run “nixos-rebuild” on the target machine.

It’s basically just for remote editing. :)

Christian

—
Christian Theune · ct at flyingcircus.io · +49 345 219401 0
Flying Circus Internet Operations GmbH · http://flyingcircus.io
Forsterstraße 29 · 06112 Halle (Saale) · Deutschland
HR Stendal HRB 21169 · Geschäftsführer: Christian. Theune, Christian. Zagrodnick