[Nix-dev] Nix-env error

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon Jul 27 20:53:12 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:16 PM, James Cook <james.cook at utoronto.ca> wrote:

I can't reproduce this at commit 554cbe9. The only thing that comes to
> mind is per-user configuration such as ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix, if
> you're sharing that between your computers. If that's a possibility, I
> guess you could try creating a new user and see if that user has the
> same problem. Good luck :-)

It turned out to be a mix of old and new versions of nixpkgs:

   - There was a symlink at ~/.nix-defexpr/channels_root
   - It pointed into /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels.
   - That, in turn, had a link
   to /nix/store/5n6dd7i1h3anw017paxm27mwaq4aaj8p-nixos-14.12.471.1f09b77/nixos
   ,
   - As Luca mentioned, that's an old nixpkgs.
   - It would have been fine, but for the fact that
keybase-node-client/default.nix
   imports <nixpkgs>,
   - Which ends up being the latest nixpkgs, set by my $NIX_PATH.
   - So node modules from the latest nixpkgs get built against a nodejs
   derivation from 7 months ago.
   - Error

Deleting ~/.nix-defexpr/channels_root solved it for me.

Just as a follow up, is it a bug that nix-env --show-trace -qa didn't show
the trace?

Thanks for the help,

Colin