[Nix-dev] PyQt and packaging python-qscintilla

Daniel Hlynskyi abcz2.uprola at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 19:36:35 CEST 2015

For PyQt there is a library python-qscintilla, which is Python binding to
qscintilla editor control. PyQt is already packaged here [1].

The problem with packaging python-qscintilla is: it wants to be in PyQt
directory. So we can do

  import PyQt4
  import PyQt4.Qsci

Now [2] I have three choices how to resume packaging :

1) ask if someone knows hot to trick Python and sip where the Qsci.so is
located (python-qscintilla creates .so file, not .py). I've tried to put
Qsci.so into PYTHONPATH but Python doesn't load .so files (or I didn't
figure out how it works)

2) modify PyQt, so it has optional argument qscintilla:

   pyqt4 = { pkgs, qscintilla ? null, ..} : ...

and refer to python-qscintilla as

   [ pkgs.python27Packages.pyqt4 { pkgs = self.pkgs, qscintilla =
pkgs.qscintilla } ]

(alternative: implement it as override in nixpkgs)

3) create own build of PyQt in python-qscintilla. This will not change
existing PyQt expression

Which is better to continue and how to do it best?

[1]
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/python-modules/pyqt/
[2] https://gist.github.com/danbst/e4199acb6b4dee9cdfbf